Friday, January 28, 2005

Mars and Pluto in Deadwood

After a couple of days of foreplay, Mars and Pluto had a rendezvous at 24 Sagittarius this morning at 9:44 am PST. The symbolism: nuclear (or nuc-u-lar, depending on how you vote) weapons (John Ashcroft exploited this theme only yesterday), transportation disasters, unbridled hostility and violence.

Among other things, of course. My friend Natori, with Mars marching across her Ascendant, experienced the Mars/Pluto/Sagittarius combination in the form of a couple of Mormons showing up on her doorstep, for the first time in the many years she's lived in her house. Onward Christian soldiers (Mars in Sag) !

Thankfully, I'm experiencing this conjunction, so far, only in the realm of dreams. I don't usually remember dreams or think much about them, but last night a graphic and completely uncharacteristic one grabbed my attention. I was chattering with some nice, if somewhat unkempt and eccentric, blonde man, when suddenly he slumped against a wall. I thought he was just tired. Then another guy (who, I swear, was Al Swearengen from Deadwood) appeared and told the blonde man, in a calm, menacing voice, "In a few minutes you will realize that I've sliced the back of your head open and that you are dying."

Ack! Murder! Menace! Horror! Not my kind of thing at all. But if you are, in fact, every person in your dream (true? where have I heard/read that?), I am the victim, the murderer, and the horrified onlooker. So at some level, anyway, I guess I'm pissed off, afraid, and freaked out. And John Ashcroft is the terrorized, the terrorist, and the terror.

Today, the unholy alliance of Mars and Pluto signals high noon in Deadwood, and all of us have itchy trigger fingers. We are all ready to shoot, all about to be shot, and all standing on the sidelines, fascinated and horrified.

Either that, or it's something I ate before bedtime.