Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005 was a crashing bore.

Geez, where did THAT year go?

And I don't mean that in the sense of, "Wow, what a thrilling kaleidoscope of mesmerizing visions and whirlwind sensations! I can't believe ALL THAT happened in a single year!" Nope, I don't mean it like that at all.

Truthfully, 2005 was a bit of a throwaway year around here. Nothing big happened, at least nothing big that hadn't happened before. I tried to write a book but lost interest; then I tried to write another book and ran out of time. TMA published one of my articles. My friends Tim and Claudia and I sang at peace rallies. I got an office and a root canal. I started a publishing company. I worked - a lot. The cats endured the first full year of their Unfortunate Incarceration. In a single spectacular week in November, my husband finally got fed up and left his horrid job, one of our cats fell victim to a mysterious malaise, and my aunt died. And instead of preparing for or celebrating the holidays in almost any way, we had the scary, tinker-toy 1927 wiring in the front part of the house replaced by some of the nicest contractors we've ever worked with.

We didn't throw any big parties, but we had a lot of summer dinner parties in our driveway, which was much more enchanting than it sounds (I guess it would almost have to be). We made a couple of new friends. On more than one occasion, we shook our heads at the daily news and talked ourselves out of fleeing to New Zealand. I got fatter and older and greyer, although thanks to the miracles of Monoxodil I finally got my hair back.

Here's to bigger thrills in 2006. Peace on earth, y'all, and all the very best to you in the new year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home