Monday, July 11, 2005

A lesson in midpoints.

So this afternoon I toddled off to the local hardware store to fetch a quart of paint. Parked in their nearly-empty parking lot - no cars either side of me. Got my paint, returned to my car... and there was a blue Honda Civic parked at a sharp angle with its front right bumper resting up against my left. Blocking the driver's side door of my car, of course, so I had to shimmy through the passenger seat to get in. Started the car and caaaarrrrefully pulled away. Inspected my car for damage... hard to tell - I was in an accident a couple of years ago that left that bumper pretty scuffed up. Decided the possibility of unseen damage to the car was outweighed by possible confrontation with apparently sociopathic driver of other vehicle should they appear. So I jotted down the license plate number and make of car and drove off... kind of shaken, to be honest. I've lived in large cities for 34 years, but I never get used to random aggression. Although I suppose it's entirely possible the person responsible was drunk (Mercury and Venus are opposing Neptune today) - or just a really bad driver.

Today, the Sun in passive-aggressive Cancer is within orb of squaring Mars in aggressive-aggressive Aries (the aspect will be exact tomorrow afternoon, 4:01 pm PDT). Put these two hot-heads in a room together and someone's walking out with a black eye (or a dented fender). But I don't even have any planets especially close to 19 or 20 degrees of a cardinal sign. Why is it my poor little car - and, by association, me - that's getting picked on?

On a whim, I checked my natal midpoints (360 degree wheel): My Sun/Mars midpoint is 18 Cancer, my Pluto/Ascendant midpoint at 19 Cancer. Here's what Reinhold Ebertin has to say about the Sun and Mars with these midpoints in his classic book The Combination of Stellar Influences:
Sun/Mars: Hastiness, violence. A strained relationship with other persons. Upsets.
Sun = Pluto/Ascendant: A ruthless conduct with regard to people in one's environment.
Mars = Pluto/Ascendant: The tendency to expose oneself to danger. Injury, accident.

Huh. See, I like midpoints but since I never became practiced enough to see them in a chart at a glance, I don't use them much - unlike, say, my colleague Pete. Usually I drag them out when nothing else seems to explain a situation. But that Ebertin actually summed up my little drama rather well, didn't he? Although it makes it sound as though I kind of purposely threw myself into harm's way (when all I really did was park a completely innocuous white Toyota in a nearly-empty parking lot in a fairly good part of town). It also makes it sound like things could have been a lot worse, though, so I'll shut up now.

Drive safely, y'all.