Friday, July 01, 2005

From Zero to Fuck You

I'm feeling kind of impatient with people lately. If any interaction doesn't go smoothly from the start, if there are missed emails or misunderstandings or annoying questions, or if I'm (god forbid)asked to compromise, I simply can't be bothered. Recently, I took stock and found an alarming trail of roadkill strewn in my wake; the second these folks started to bug me, I went speeding off, accelerating from zero to "Fuck you" in seconds flat.

This morning I was describing this unfortunate tendency to my friend Natori, who immediately put her finger on the culprit: "It must be Uranus," she told me. "No patience; quick getaway." Ah. Yes. Uranus, the urge for escape, the uncompromising lust for freedom; when left unchecked, an utter contempt for the kind of give-and-take that characterizes normal adult interactions. Like most astrologers, I certainly have my share of antisocial Uranian traits, but recently even more so, with transiting Uranus squaring my Moon. I'm recognizing a fairly destructive trait in myself that really needs to be reigned in.

Funny we should have found ourselves chatting about Uranus: In the wee hours of tomorrow morning, at 3:38 am PDT, the Sun will trine that prickly planet. Seems like an especially appropriate aspect to kick off the Independence Day weekend: Freedom! Independence! Words to thrill the Uranian heart.

But today, as the aspect came into orb, I found myself thinking, once again, of fleeing - this time, the country of my birth, for the umpteenth time since 2000. Justice Sandra Day O'Connor announced she will hand in her lunch pail and retire from the Supreme Court, leaving a gaping hole that has been filled up to now by a relative moderate. Gee, what kind of appointee do you suppose will be proposed to fill this spot? Will plummeting approval ratings persuade our Chimp in Chief to rethink his radical agenda and appoint someone slightly to the left of Genghis Khan? We'll find out soon enough, but something tells me that by next week we'll be roadkill in the Chimp in Chief's rear-view mirror as he speeds off in his humvee (his would be armored, or course), merrily flipping us the bird.

If you can't beat 'em, you can learn from 'em. The best I can do is regard this guy as a cautionary tale of what happens when Uranus is overindulged and allowed to run amok. "I don't have to listen to anyone! I know everything! My way or the highway! Insert banal cliche here!" That kind of attitude is not appealing. It is, in fact, reactionary... which is the antithesis of real freedom.

This weekend, what do you say we practice not running away, not flipping the bird, and entertaining healthy compromise? That sounds like an Independence worth celebrating.